Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Big Deal? Really?!

Ok, so there are a few reasons why I am bloggin so much lately.
1. I really enjoy this topic
2. I'm trying to make up for my lack of participation out loud in class (I haven't had the most attractive voice lately)
3. And I'm trying to make up for my lack of blogging for a couple of weeks this semester...with everything it is very easy to lose track of this thing...

But on to what matters.
Why is it such a big deal whether someone is "patriotic" or not? And I am using the stereotypical definition of patriotism involving the War in Iraq and supporting the troops and all that good stuff. And seriously, that's what it is...stuff.

I support the war. From beginning to end. We were all convinced falsely of their being WMD over there...so we went for it. A lot of people were behind it then. But now that we know the truth, there is a faint support system. I don't necessarily support the cause (but I do support the spread of democracy), but I support the war and everyone involved. I have had way too many people that are close to me get sent over there. But no matter the reason, I am going to support them and what they are doing. They support the war and believe that what they are doing is right and that they are helping somone. If the people doing the actually fighting support it, shouldn't we support them?

But people bash them. This apparently makes them unpatriotic. But they have a point where they are coming from. Patriotism talks up defending your country...we are no longer really defending our country anymore. Come on. You know it. We are there because it is a situation we can't back out of or all hell is going to break loose. We are defending ourselves. We might have in the beginning...a little bit...but definently not now.

But does it really matter? Why does EVERYONE have to support the war. Why does EVERYONE have to be patriotic. Some people, as much as we don't want to think about it, are stuck here. They can't go anywhere else. They don't support what we are doing. They have that right...it's called free will. It's a human right. And we are all humans. But not all humans are patriotic.

No comments: